Saturday, July 5, 2014

Music

It took me for frickin ever to find music that would motivate me while working out.

Cardio is no problem (music wise)...just about any fast song will do.

My problem is strength training.  When I don't have my trainer with me to push me when I want to stop, I need music to push me.

The songs have to have a good beat.  Not too fast, because I find that I naturally fall in rhythm with the songs...if the beat is too fast, I'll die and/or pass out.

The songs also have to either sound powerful or have motivating lyrics...hopefully both, but this is a rare find.  Most of my lifting songs sound just plain angry.  Which truthfully is motivating in and of itself, and makes me feel like a hard ass.

Need some new music?  Here are my current playlists...

Cardio:
Come get it Bae - Pharrell and Miley
Forever - Chris Brown (you have NO IDEA how embarrassed I am to admit that I like a Chris Brown song.  NO.  IDEA.)
Give a Little - Hanson (no, I'm not kidding.  This song is awesome)
If - Janet Jackson
Love Runs Out - One Republic
Milkshake - Kelis (mostly because it's hilarious)
On Top of the World - Imagine Dragons
Pink & Blue - Outkast
Runaway Baby - Bruno Mars (this song is amazing for sprint intervals, just FYI...thank God it's short because I'm almost dead by the time it's over)
White Walls - Macklemore (my jam.  I sing this song to my dog all the time and he hates it so much)
Work Bitch - Britney Spears
All My Life - Foo Fighters
Can't Hold Us - Macklemore
New Shoes - Paolo Nutini
Since U Been Gone - Kelly Clarkson
Monkey Wrench - Foo Fighters
Fall Down - will.i.am and Miley
Times Like These - Foo Fighters
Ten Feet Tall - Afrojack (Thanks, Jen!)

This glorious playlist is an hour and ten minutes long, I finish my workout with a few songs to spare for stretching.  Huzzah!

Strength Training:
Personal Jesus - Marilyn Manson
Them Bones - Alice in Chains
I Alone - Live
In Bloom - Nirvana
Mosh - Eminem 
All My Life - Foo Fighters (yes, this song is on both lists.  I have such a boner for Dave Grohl, it's not even funny)
Living Dead Girl - Rob Zombie
The Motto - Drake (I hate Drake so much, but dang this song is catchy)
The Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
Remember The Name - Fort Minor (this is, hands down, my favorite song on this list.  Be warned, it's listed as "explicit lyrics," but some of the lyrics are so, so motivating)
The Fight Song - Marilyn Manson
Dragula - Rob Zombie
Empty Spaces - Fuel
Would? - Alice in Chains
Heart-shaped Box - Nirvana

1 hour 1 minute of bad-assery.  Like I said, lots of angry music, great for throwing weights around and making me feel like a boss ass b*tch.

I really wanted to add some AC/DC to my strength training playlist, but all I can find on Spotify are stupid cover bands.  Thunderstruck would be amazing for strength training.


Anyone else feel wicked motivated by their workout music?  Anyone have any suggestions for new songs?  I shuffle the lists so I never know what I'm going to get next, but I'd give it another few weeks before I'm in need of fresh songs.

Thanks for keeping me motivated, you gorgeous man you.

No comments:

Post a Comment